6440 South High Street
Lockbourne, OH 43137-9207
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - sunset
Located about 10 miles south of downtown Columbus on US Route 23 in Lockbourne, St. Joseph Cemetery is a place of peace, both for the faithful departed and for families who wish to spend time with their loved ones.
Totaling 755 acres in size, the cemetery features a beautiful brick and stone chapel erected in 1929. Today there are 37 sections in the cemetery that are in use, and every year hundreds of the faithful departed find their final resting place at St. Joseph Cemetery. In addition to gravesites, the cemetery also holds 3,500 mausoleum crypts.
In 1910, Bishop James J. Hartley purchased 190 acres of farm land on Route 23 just south of the village of Shadeville. William Brown, who was a janitor at St. Joseph Cathedral at the time, became the first superintendent at the cemetery. Brown supervised development of the first sections of the cemetery.
Father Chester LeBlanc became the first resident director in 1945. He reorganized the cemetery office and established a policy whereby families would deal directly with the cemetery instead of through funeral directors.