Mt. Calvary Cemetery
518 Mt. Calvary Ave.
Columbus, OH 43223
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Located near downtown Columbus in the vicinity of Cooper Stadium, Mt. Calvary Cemetery is oldest active Catholic Cemetery in Franklin County. Though consecrated by Bishop Sylvester Rosecrans in 1874, burials began as early as 1865.
Land for this cemetery was purchased in trust for the Diocese of Columbus by John F. Zimmer. In 1865, he purchased slightly more than 25 acres from Phil N. White and his wife. In 1866, he purchased two more acres from Jacob Gall. Zimmer sold these two plots of land to the Diocese in 1868.
From the time burials began on the land that was to be Mt. Calvary up to the time of its consecration, more than 1,400 interments were made.